2009年1月8日 星期四

Msn peer discussion 3 - Research Question

蘇菲亞 說:
1. Paper outlines including the title and 1-3 keywords (e.g., euthanasia, gay and lesbian marriage, animal rights, etc). Do you search information using these keywords? In English or Chinese? Why?

Title: Could Gay be Gay?
Key words: Gay
I do research information through this keyword in both English and Chinese because I think that I could gather more information on the topic by doing so.
蘇菲亞 說:
However, I found mostly English version.
Elsa 說:
You just use a key word "Gay"?
蘇菲亞 說:
Yes
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
and then you could find many articles
蘇菲亞 說:
now that it is a broad topic it is easy to find information.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so great and convenient
Elsa 說:
Then, you must be tired to find the information you want. Because there are too many information
Claire 說:
Both English and Chinese?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
and maybe you can narrow your key words
蘇菲亞 說:
But I ONLY USE ONE WORD
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so the information you find may to be too broad for you
Elsa 說:
That's ok. If you can find the source you want.
Claire 說:
There must have lots of article
Elsa 說:
But you might spend more time.
蘇菲亞 說:
So what do you think I shoul;ld type?
Claire 說:
So you do the topic in extensive way?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the topic you choose may to broad for you
蘇菲亞 說:
SO WHAT SHOULD I DO
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
you can try to key in the keywords longer and explain detailly about your subject
Elsa 說:
It depends on what aspects you want to discuss.
Claire 說:
To narrow down the certain point of gay
蘇菲亞 說:
OK
蘇菲亞 說:
( 1 )
Ideology- Queer Cinema.
Louis Giannetti (1997). Understanding Movies, the eleventh edition, p.483-p.489. New jersey.
Intended audiences: Those who are interested in analyzing movies.
I think that it is quite interesting for it explain the ideology on homosexuality by analyzing the movies through media that we are familiar with.
蘇菲亞 說:
This is my citation
蘇菲亞 說:
The answer to the second question
蘇菲亞 說:
( 2 )
Gay Genes, Revisited.
LeVay, Tim; Hamer. Scientific American(1994, May), Vol. 270 Issue 5, p44, 6p Abstract: Two pieces of evidence, a structure within the human brain and a genetic link, point to a biological component for male homosexuality [ABSTRACT FROM PUBLISHER] (AN 14327844)
Intended audiences: Academic paper.
蘇菲亞 說:
The author gave out some results of the experiments and tries to convince the readers his point of view.
Difficulties: Some of the concepts in the articles are expressed in the scientific way. Thus, I may feel confused.

蘇菲亞 說:
Do Gays Have a Choice?
Epstein, Robert. Scientific American Mind, Feb/Mar2006, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p50, 8p Abstract: Science offers a clear and surprising answer to a controversial question [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR] (AN 23432303)
From http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdf?vid=3&hid=3&sid=0ef80f05-7ac0-4011-a81c-1967ab28d5c1%40sessionmgr9
Intended audiences: Academic paper.
蘇菲亞 說:
The author stated different factors in the article that explain the cause of the sexual tendency. He did make his idea clear.

蘇菲亞 說:
( 4 )
Anonymous (September 7, 2004). Taiwan.
Web Site: http://www.jamessteed.com/gayson/gayson.htm
Intended audiences: General people. The web site contained the explanation of homosexuality so that people may get more information on the topic. By knowing more information, we might have less discrimination among them.

蘇菲亞 說:
( 5 )
Could Gay be Gay?
Anonymous
Web Site: http://www.youtube.com/v/V1iEpBsNIBU&hl=zh_TW&fs=1
Intended audiences: General people. Through the explanation on the topic, most of people could get to know more about gays/ lesbians ( their thoughts for example).

蘇菲亞 說:
That's all to the second question.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the first citation :i think it is great that you use the book we have studied in this semester as your reference
蘇菲亞 說:
The fact is you have to attack me
Claire 說:
Ideology!!!Interesting!(When night is falling )
蘇菲亞 說:
I don't know whether I had do the citation properly.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the idea is great
蘇菲亞 說:
BUT
Elsa 說:
How do you use the second reference in your final paper? Since you said you are confused about that.
蘇菲亞 說:
OH YEAH
蘇菲亞 說:
I mean some of the idea it mentioned in the article.
蘇菲亞 說:
Thanks
Claire 說:
Because it's a academic paper ?
蘇菲亞 說:
I WOULD REVISE THE SENTENSE
蘇菲亞 說:
Yes
Elsa 說:
You can add that if you agree with the standpoints in the sources.
Claire 說:
Are there lot of new terms should be explained?
蘇菲亞 說:
No.
蘇菲亞 說:
It's not the term but the words it used in the articles.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so you creat th eterm by tourself?
Claire 說:
So how do you overcpme the problem?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
sorry foe misspelling
蘇菲亞 說:
3. How do you use these sources to support your own argument/opinions or as references for facts? Do you quote some words, phrases, or sentences directly from the original texts or paraphrase them?

I do quote some words, and sentences in my final paper because they supported my opinion.
蘇菲亞 說:

4. What revisions have you made compared to your annotations? What drives you to make revisions? Do you polish your language and pay attention to cohesion and coherence in your final paper?

I made some revisions by referring to the comments I received from peer working.
蘇菲亞 說:

5. What perspectives have you changed compared to your issue paper? Did you add your peer's opinions? Why or why not?

I did add my peer’s opinion in my issue paper because they pointed out the shortcomings that I did not realize before.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so do you paraphrase the qoutes
蘇菲亞 說:
Before i want to change my position and focus on the cutural environment
蘇菲亞 說:
but i found out that all of the infromation that i have found was about the scientific problems
蘇菲亞 說:
yes i do qoute
Elsa 說:
So you need to find more evidence instead of the scientific problems
Claire 說:
What words do you quote?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the most important thing is you need to paraphrase them in your own ideas
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
did you do that?(attacking)
蘇菲亞 說:
(i can feel that
蘇菲亞 說:
it's hard to say it over here
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
i know that you have paraphrased them
蘇菲亞 說:
i had put the quotation mark in my paragraph
蘇菲亞 說:
actually i quote
蘇菲亞 說:
and also paraphrased
Claire 說:
Do you have coherence between the paragraph?
Elsa 說:
Some conjunctions
蘇菲亞 說:
I...am not sure about that
蘇菲亞 說:
i think i did....吧
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
do make the mistake as same as me
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
don't
Elsa 說:
Well. You can do it better when you looking your sentence again.
蘇菲亞 說:
ok
Claire 說:
Check it again!
蘇菲亞 說:
so is that all?
蘇菲亞 說:
OK!
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
when i read your annatation, i find that overally there are not some serious problems in your article
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the grammar and spelling is ok
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the coherence is not too bad
Elsa 說:
You did a good job.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
but you stll have to polish them into a btter one
Claire 說:
serious problems?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
better
Claire 說:
So?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
the conjuntions
Elsa 說:
conjunctions
Claire 說:
OH! OK
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so the next parts?
Elsa 說:
I can start to present
Claire 說:
OK
Claire 說:
Abortion!
Elsa 說:
Abortion: A Serious Challenge between Morality and Women’s right
Elsa 說:
key words:abortion, women's human rights
Elsa 說:
I search the information on internet database with these words in English way. Because I want to know more about the cases and the world trend of abortion. By using the keywords, I do find many information and some of them support to my opinion.

Elsa 說:
1. Women's consideration (Reasons for abortion)

2. Human rights (Research about the abortion laws)

3. Looking from another standpoints ( the thoughts of those who anti-abortion)

Elsa 說:
That's the outlines of my paper.
Elsa 說:
2. Topics/themes in four annotations and their intended audiences
Elsa 說:
1) The first annotation is videos about the opinions of Obama, the president-elect in America. He thinks that limit the liberty of abortion may harm women's human right.

Audience:
People who care about the relationship between abortion and government.

Claire 說:
So you emphasize women's human rights?
Elsa 說:
Yes.
Elsa 說:
That's my main point.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
yap
Claire 說:
Do you have other position?
Claire 說:
Law ?
Claire 說:
Law of abortion!
Elsa 說:
Yes.
Claire 說:
you say you want to mention
Elsa 說:
(3) The third annotation is the world trend of abortion law.

Elsa 說:
Audience:
People who do not know the real condition about abortion around the world.
Elsa 說:
4) The fourth annotation is the reasons for those who oppose aborton.
Audience:
People who want to know why be anti-abortion
蘇菲亞 說:
I THINK THAT YOUR VIEWPOINT IS CLEAR
蘇菲亞 說:
AND PRECISE
Claire 說:
Yup~
Elsa 說:
Thank you!
Elsa 說:
3. Main points in each source that support your own argument/opinions.Do you organize the relations in discourses with a smoth connection and transition between sentences? Do you quote some words, phrases, or sentences directly from the original texts or paraphrase them?
(1) Obama's ideas have in common with my opinions. No woman make the decision casually.
(2) Those reasons can make people to t
Elsa 說:
(2) Those reasons can make people to think the necessity of abortion.
(3) Liberalization is the main trend of abortion laws.
(4) Show the purpose that those who oppose abortion might because some religion or the slogan of humanism, instead of caring for women and children.
Claire 說:
Is any problem you encounter in your paper?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
and you make three points in your paper
蘇菲亞 說:
SO YOU QOUTE
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
discuss the three reasons
Elsa 說:
I do qoute some words in my article
Elsa 說:
But not much.
蘇菲亞 說:
OK
Claire 說:
What peron do you quote?
蘇菲亞 說:
I THINK EVERYBODY'S PROBLEMS IS THAT WE SHOULD CHECK THE SPELLING
蘇菲亞 說:
THE COHERENCE
蘇菲亞 說:
THE CONJUNCTION
Elsa 說:
Yes. So the peer feedback is important
Elsa 說:
I do add my peer's opinions, because they pointed out the weak point of my article. I know how to make my article more fluent by their opinions.

[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
YES I ALSO AGREE THAT
Elsa 說:
To the fifth question.
Elsa 說:
(1) The weak point of my article is that I could not deny that those unborn babies have human rights too.
Elsa 說:
2) I added more ideas to my final paper
1. The world trend
2. The uniqe condition of each woman
3. Looking from the other points of view (anti-abortion)
蘇菲亞 說:
ok
蘇菲亞 說:
so you have stated your position
蘇菲亞 說:
that's cool
Claire 說:
Pefect~
Elsa 說:
But I do not know how to conquer the weak point
Elsa 說:
I just avoid to talk about that part...
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
it is really hard to correct
蘇菲亞 說:
if i were you, i would also avoid that part...
Claire 說:
The coherence?
Elsa 說:
Well... I am not sure whether my articles is coherent or not
Claire 說:
do you work strongly?
Claire 說:
And.........
Claire 說:
you told me that you have 6 pages "only"
Elsa 說:
I would try to make my article fluent
蘇菲亞 說:
i think we should go on to the next person
Elsa 說:
Ok.
蘇菲亞 說:
what is human right
蘇菲亞 說:
i mean at the same time now
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
I'M NEXT
Claire 說:
Elsa works very hard!
蘇菲亞 說:
because elsa and claire had the same topic
蘇菲亞 說:
almost the same
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
SO CLAIRE
Claire 說:
different position
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
YOUR ARE THE NEXT ONE?
Elsa 說:
So hurry up
Claire 說:
I'm ok
Elsa 說:
Tell us the outlines in your paper
Claire 說:
abotion mental health
Claire 說:
abortion
蘇菲亞 說:
together
Claire 說:
My main outline includes abortion, and I would quote others to persuade others by using lot of science research and essay. The key words are the mental help, and psychology of abortion. Most information are English, because there are much more information what I want in the foreign website.

Claire 說:
These annotations information I use is Eclipse of Reason. Bernard N. Nathanson. Jan, 1985, The effects of abortion. Lisa Tolin. Psychology Today, Jul/Aug 97,
Abortion 'leaves mental legacy. 12 December 2005. BBC News,
, and Abortion and psychology. May 17, 2007. Washington Times.

蘇菲亞 說:
mental help, and psychology of abortion.
蘇菲亞 說:
so you deal with the mental problem
Claire 說:
These annotations information I use is Eclipse of Reason. Bernard N. Nathanson. Jan, 1985, The effects of abortion. Lisa Tolin. Psychology Today, Jul/Aug 97,
Abortion 'leaves mental legacy. 12 December 2005. BBC News,
, and Abortion and psychology. May 17, 2007. Washington Times.

Claire 說:
Yes
Claire 說:
psychology of abortion
Elsa 說:
So how did you deal with the other points of view such as woman's right?
Claire 說:
I choose to be pro-lifer.
Elsa 說:
How did you conquer the weak point?
Claire 說:
I use others' words
蘇菲亞 說:
or baby's right
Claire 說:
such as the Pope
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
yap
蘇菲亞 說:
baby's psychological problem
Claire 說:
It's psychological problem of women
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
i agree with sophia
Claire 說:
Do you mean that I should develop baby's psychological problem?
Claire 說:
Then I can try.
蘇菲亞 說:
no
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
if you have enough time
Claire 說:
Ok
蘇菲亞 說:
because that's also elsa's problem
Claire 說:
Thanks
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
otherwise you must reorganize your issue paper
蘇菲亞 說:
both of you focus on the adults
蘇菲亞 說:
or don't point out the word "baby"
Elsa 說:
I see.
蘇菲亞 說:
otherwise you will have confrontation in your paper
Claire 說:
OK
蘇菲亞 說:
joyce
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
ok
Claire 說:
come to Joyce!!
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
The relationship between cosmetic surgery and the self-image
Why the trend of having cosmetic surgery has prevailed over the world?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
this is my topic(present)
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
Focus on three parts:
1. People are getting higher and higher acceptance of cosmetic surgery
2. The media, the mass images of the beautiful celebrities, and the advertisements about the cosmetic surgery
3. The self-image, self-reflection and the social values
Social values affect the way we look ourselves.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so i make a deep discussion about these three topics
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
Search information in the key words
English > “self image” “plastic surgery”
Mostly in the website of the “All Business”
http://www.allbusiness.com/
Chinese> “整形文化” “自我形象” easy to get the full ideas and easy to understand
website全國碩博士論文資訊網
http://etds.ncl.edu.tw/theabs/index.html
Elsa 說:
I think that your standpoints are clear.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
thx
蘇菲亞 說:
but
蘇菲亞 說:
i don't know your viewpoints
蘇菲亞 說:
you support?
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
this is just the outline
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
my ideas will be in the article
蘇菲亞 說:
ok
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
i just categoly them
蘇菲亞 說:
just remind you
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
i know that i will pay more attentio non this part
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
it is also my main problem thx for Sophia
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
1. Annotation1- surgeons Enhance Patient’s Self-Image
Whittington, Jane.(2006,December 1). Publicized in Greater Lansing Business Monthly [Electronic version], from http://www.allbusiness.com/health-care-social-assistance/ambulatory-health-services/4059428-1.html

[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
2. Annotation 2- Power of self-image psychology
American Salesman.(2003,May 3).Power of self-image psychology[Electronic version], from http://www.allbusiness.com/sales/526958-1.html
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
3. Annotation 3- Be Yourself Nicole Porter.(2006,September 8).Be Yourself.[Eletronic version], from http://www.allbusiness.com/services/amusement-recreation-services/4574935-1.html
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
4. Annotation 4- Image and Self-Image Alkistis TV.(2007).Image and self image,from http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=UI5Uy1lWUPQ
Claire 說:
From TV! It's cool.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
every annotation stands for one point
蘇菲亞 說:
AND SALES
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so there are three stand points
蘇菲亞 說:
YOU FIND LOTS OF INFORMATION
Elsa 說:
Don't forget to express your views when you use them.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
are you praising me?
蘇菲亞 說:
IN THE CONCLUSION PART YOU MIGHT WANT TO ORGANIZE THEM AGAIN IN BRIEF WORDS
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
1. Annotation1- surgeons Enhance Patient’s Self-Image
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
The higher acceptance of cosmetic surgery
The higher standard about aesthetic
>contribute to the uprising rate of the patients taking cosmetic surgery every year
The pursuit of attractiveness and good identification are the primary reason that promotes people to take cosmetic surgery
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
2. Annotation 2- Power of self-imThis article puts much emphasis on how self-image affects the attitudes people have toward their lives.
age psychology

[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
3. Annotation 3- Be Yourself The cultural surroundings which affected the social values people have to self-image and the appearance.
The massive images of the celebrities and advertisements
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
4. Annotation 4- Image and Self-Image Film clip
The author mentioned that self-esteem has to do with our appearances.
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
every annatation stands for one point
Elsa 說:
Do you have problems when you use these information?
蘇菲亞 說:
for example the meaning
蘇菲亞 說:
or some conflict
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
yes, at first i can't find any essay on the internet
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
after a long long stuggling, i found and useful website
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
that's the begining of my annatation
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
that's why i post my articles in the blogger so late
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
so sophia has pointed out that
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
I do quote some phrases in my paper but not much. Mostly I paraphrase the original articles and use my own words to explain.
蘇菲亞 說:
i think that you could qoate
to be more persuasive
Elsa 說:
Yes.
Elsa 說:
Using the words from convincing resouces will helpful
Claire 說:
That's right~
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
yap i agree with you
i will improve that
蘇菲亞 說:
SO ANY PROBLEMS?
DID YOU CHANGE YOUR POSITION
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
I THINK NOT
I AGREE WITH THE POINTS
and i agree with the attitude toward cosmetic surgery
Elsa 說:
If there is no problems...
[ 耐心 patient] :) 說:
this is the end maybe

沒有留言: